CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2023
STARTING DATE: As soon as Possible
Interviews have started, please feel free to apply as we are still considering new applicants
MISSION TO METRICS
To achieve our mission to rid the world's oceans of plastic, we need to perform analyses to understand our system's loads and motions fully. The hydro engineer will have succeeded when the results of the analyses are implemented to make informed design and operational decisions.
“The Oceans project is making an impact on removing the legacy plastic from the Pacific Ocean. I enjoy applying my experience as a hydrodynamic engineer to such an important environmental issue. We are looking for another experienced engineer to join us in our mission.” - Deborah Koskela, Lead Hydrodynamic Engineer.
Support front-end engineering and design for ocean cleanup systems, perform hydrodynamic calculations and simulations and communicate the results to the project team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Define scopes of work and engineering methodologies used to assess hydrodynamic behaviour of ocean cleanup systems
- Perform dynamic analyses of ocean clean-up systems with OrcaFlex, understand the theory behind the analysis, and clearly document results
- Perform quality checks on analysis and calculations performed by other team members
- Determine laboratory model test requirements and support execution of scale/laboratory tests in specialist facilities
- Perform post-processing of laboratory and full-scale offshore tests
- Develop in-house knowledge and additional tools to predict hydrodynamic behaviour of ocean cleanup systems.
- Support testing and developing in-house knowledge.
- Perform dynamic analyses of ocean clean-up systems with OrcaFlex, hand calculations, and other tools, and clearly document results
- Suggest improvements to the system based on hydrodynamic principles
- Work together with project engineers to develop & improve future ocean cleanup systems
- Master's or bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent (with hydrodynamics as a specialism preferred but not required).
- Knowledge of and experience with OrcaFlex software or similar is essential
- 4+ years of relevant engineering experience, preferably in offshore or maritime industry
- Experience with the design and analysis of (offshore) structures
- Experience with conceptual and design engineering
- Proficiency with programming languages such as Python and MATLAB
- Fluent in English
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Creative problem-solver who thrives working on complex challenges
- Good communicator and able to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Good time management skills and efficient delivery effort
- Driven, curious, and solutions-oriented
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position.
- Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity.