- Posted: 09 March 2022
- Closing date: 07 June 2022
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to rid the world's oceans of plastic. To do so, we need to perform analyses to fully understand our system's loads and motions. The hydro engineer is successful when the results of analyses are implemented into the design and operation of our systems.
"The Ocean Cleanup is a technology-driven project that is making an impact by doing. We work on a dynamic, fast-paced project with unique and exciting challenges. I love working as a hydro engineer on the Oceans team; the work we perform and the decisions we make really drive the design. We are looking for creative and driven engineers, capable of delivering in a fast-paced environment." - Dave Cox, Lead Hydrodynamic Engineer
Support front-end engineering and design for ocean clean-up systems, perform hydrodynamic calculations and simulations and communicate the results to the project team.
- Together with project engineers, develop ocean clean up system concepts, determine feasibility, and perform concept selection
- Fully understand the ocean clean up system's motions and driving forces; using thorough knowledge of first-principle hydrodynamics
- Perform dynamic analyses of ocean clean up systems with OrcaFlex, hand calculations, and other tools with clearly documented results
- Develop numerical models
- Perform quality checks on analysis and calculations performed by other team members
- Determine laboratory model test requirements and support execution of scale/laboratory tests in specialist facilities
- Perform post-processing of laboratory and full-scale tests
- Develop Python coding scripts to assist simulation and model development
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Master's or bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent, with hydrodynamics as specialism preferred but not required.
- 3+ years of relevant engineering experience, preferably in the offshore or maritime industry
- Experience with design and analysis of (offshore) structures
- Knowledge of and experience with OrcaFlex software or similar is essential
- Experience with conceptual and design engineering
- Proficiency with programming languages such as python and MATLAB
- Fluent in English
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Creative problem-solver who thrives working on complex challenges
- Good communicator and able to work in a multi-disciplinary team
- Good time management skills and efficient delivery effort
- Driven, curious, and solutions-oriented
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union