CLOSED DATE: 31 October 2023
STARTING DATE: As soon as possible
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technology to rid the world's oceans of plastic. The Catch Management team ensures responsible waste management after plastic and other waste have been extracted from rivers, preventing it from reaching the oceans.
As a Waste Manager, you will play a critical role in our river projects, leveraging your work experience and expertise in waste management. Your knowledge, know-how, and network in this field will contribute to the success of our Clean Tech development, aligning professional excellence with a purposeful goal.
“We are seeking an experienced Waste Manager to help drive our clean-up efforts in river projects. If you are passionate about pursuing waste management solutions in challenging landscapes and possess the necessary qualifications, we look forward to receiving your application.” - Angela Osorio, Senior Waste Manager
- Serve as the primary waste management representative for a portfolio of river projects, from early-stage explorations to implementation and waste management improvement plans.
- Conduct desk research, engage with partners, and conduct site visits to understand waste handling practices in countries and regions where our projects are executed.
- Collaborate with the Senior Waste Manager and other team members to propose waste management solutions for river projects, ensuring alignment with local best practices.
- Prepare and deliver reports and other deliverables related to waste management in river projects.
- Assist in the operational rollout by implementing the proposed waste management approach for the waste collected in our operations.
- Contribute to the development of knowledge, know-how, and network in waste management for river projects based on lessons learned from ongoing projects.
- 5-8 years of work experience in a role directly related to waste management, including knowledge of waste handling practices, waste management strategies, and best practices in the field.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, practical implementation skills, and a hands-on approach are necessary to ensure the successful execution of waste management plans.
- Research, analysis, and reporting skills, including the ability to compile and present data, communicate findings effectively, and follow guidance from the Senior Waste Manager.
- Excellent communication and social skills are crucial, including strong cultural awareness, the ability to communicate on all levels, effectively work as part of a team, actively contribute with ideas, and align waste management solutions with local best practices.
- A mindset of continuous improvement by learning from ongoing projects, identifying lessons learned, and staying updated with the latest developments in waste management.
- A degree (M.Sc. or B.Sc.) in a relevant field such as environmental sciences, environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, or civil engineering.
- Experience working in emerging markets, particularly in Asia, Central America, or Africa
- You are a self-starter with an analytical approach to problem-solving
- You are curious and willing to travel abroad for site visits regularly
- You have a strong command of the English language, verbal and written
- You are not afraid of a slightly smelly work environment and dirty boots
- You are intrinsically motivated to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- You thrive in a dynamic and evolving organizational environment.
- A valid European Union work permit is required for this position.
- Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
- Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.