- Posted: 29 April 2022
- Closing date: 28 July 2022
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. We design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. As a River Survey Engineer, you will initiate, organize, and manage fieldwork campaigns in rivers with partners across the globe to collect data. Your information and insights are key to the deployment and development of plastic interception technologies.
“We are looking for a hands-on mentality colleague eager to be on the field collecting relevant data to run successful projects in stopping plastics from reaching the ocean. You will perform technical suitability assessments, test and deploy sensors, and monitor the impact of our technology. You will also support the development of plastic interception technologies and solutions by researching plastic's spatial and temporal behavior, as well as building partnerships with local entities across the globe.” – The Data & Monitoring Team
As a River Survey Engineer (Jr) within the River Team, you are responsible for:
- Designing, monitoring, and executing field and research campaigns to collect plastic and technically relevant data in rivers
- Building partnerships with local experts across the globe
- Planning, conducting, and reporting technical site suitability assessments for plastic interception technologies.
- Acquisition, quality control, and analysis of different datasets
- Providing technical recommendations and serving as a knowledge point on rivers and plastic aspects within the projects
- Collaborating with other teams in the river department on specific activities for plastic extraction projects
- Bachelor’s or master's degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Water Management, or Geosciences related field
- 1-3 years of relevant work experience as field engineer or project scientist
- Culturally sensitive
- Pragmatic, experience in setting up and executing field campaigns, coordinating, or training third parties in specific assessments
- Experienced and comfortable with managing several projects simultaneously
- Experienced with GIS software is a plus (e.g. ArcGIS)
- Experienced with a programming language is a plus (e.g. Python)
- Fluent in English - proficiency in an Asian language or Spanish is a plus
- Enjoys sharing knowledge, communicating key information/findings, and building capacity with the team and partners
- Able to deal with uncertainty, changes in scope, and ambiguity
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Excellent communicator
- Curious, creative, and hands-on mentality. You can, and you like to execute things yourself.
- Willingness to travel abroad
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union