River Survey Engineer (Junior/Medior)
- Interviews started
- Posted: 12 February 2023
- Closing date: 13 May 2023
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Alongside our ocean cleaning program, we design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. As a River Survey Engineer, you will initiate, organize, and manage fieldwork campaigns in rivers with global partners to collect data. Your information and insights are key to implementing and developing plastic interception technologies.
“We are looking for a hands-on mentality colleague eager to be on the field collecting relevant data to run successful projects in stopping plastics from reaching the ocean. You will perform technical suitability assessments, design, supervise and execute field research campaigns, test and deploy sensors, and monitor the impact of our technology. You will also support the development of plastic interception technologies and solutions by researching the spatial and temporal behavior of plastic, as well as correlating it with environmental data in rivers, while building partnerships to support our mission.” – The Data & Monitoring Team.
As a River Survey Engineer (Jr) within the River Team, you are responsible for:
- Designing, monitoring, and executing field and research campaigns to collect plastic and technically relevant data in rivers.
- Building partnerships with local experts across the globe.
- Planning, conducting, and reporting technical site suitability assessments for plastic interception technologies.
- Acquisition, quality control, and analysis of different datasets.
- Providing technical recommendations and serving as a knowledge point on rivers and plastic aspects within the projects
- Collaborating with other teams in the River department on specific activities for plastic extraction projects.
- Bachelor’s or master's degree in Civil/Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Water Management or Geosciences related field
- 2-4 years of relevant work experience as field engineer or project research scientist
- Culturally sensitive
- Pragmatic experience of setting up and executing field campaigns, coordinating, or training third parties in specific assessments
- Experienced and comfortable with managing several projects simultaneously
- Experienced with GIS software is a plus (ArcGIS e.g.)
- Experienced with a programming language is a plus (Python e.g.)
- Fluent in English - proficiency in Spanish or an Asian language is a plus
- Enjoys sharing knowledge, communicating key information/findings, and building capacity with the team and partners
- Able to deal with uncertainty, changes in scope, and ambiguity
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Excellent communicator
- Curious, creative, and hands-on mentality. You can, and you like to execute things yourself.
- Willingness to travel abroad
Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
WORK PERMIT NEEDED:
A valid European Union work permit is highly preferred for this position. However, feel free to send an open application so we can contact you if an opportunity arises in your country.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.