- Posted: 20 February 2020
- Closing date: 20 May 2020
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. In order to do so, we need to design, develop and deploy offshore cleanup systems that extract plastic from our oceans. You will be responsible for the concept development and related research within the R&D Team to build knowledge and deliver high quality concept designs. We have a small R&D team, which is supported by our engineering team, and by 3rd parties. Working closely with our engineering team for testing and analysis of concept ideas is an important part of this position.
You will succeed when you deliver innovative concept designs that push the boundaries of our technology after developing the required knowledge within a short period of time.
"The Ocean Cleanup is a technology driven project, aiming to clean the world’s oceans from plastics by developing innovative technology. We are looking for a person who can in a quick and smart way build knowledge to improve our technology. A broad view on design and engineering, an interest in new ideas and a good sense of humor will perfectly fit our team. Join our R&D group to generate those smart ideas and get the oceans clean as quickly as we can!” Arjen Tjallema, Technology Manager
Responsible for knowledge building and delivering high quality concept designs. Other responsibilities include:
- Prepare and monitor work scopes for testing and assessment of concept designs and answering research questions
- Perform high-level calculations/simulations to understand basic principles of concept designs, and quickly assess ideas before handing them over to engineering
- Assure tight and smooth cooperation between R&D and engineering groups
- Keep record of developing knowledge within our project. Define knowledge gaps, and prioritize and provide scopes to the engineering team or 3rd parties to fill those knowledge gaps.
- Feed newly developed knowledge back into the concept development.
- Master's degree in engineering
- At least 3 years of relevant work experience in technology development and/or research role, preferably in an innovative environment
- Experienced with hydrodynamic and structural engineering
- Knowledge on oceanography in general and on ocean waves specifically
- Ability to clearly present and explain results of complex research to engineers and other stakeholders
- Ability to quickly build an understanding of complicated technical subjects, where limited knowledge is available both internally as well as externally
- Fluent in English
- Be able to quickly get to the essence of a technical challenge, and investigate the most relevant/important aspects to get to a solution direction
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Curious, creative, and determined to deliver
- Flexible team player
- Strong communication skills
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union