- Posted: 14 September 2021
- Closing date: 13 December 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. One part of the solution is to design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers.
As Senior Project Manager, you will be responsible for managing our most complex projects. You will be able to rely on a multi-disciplinary internal team of engineers, data scientists, business developers, environmental scientists, and legal experts to craft successful concepts. Externally you will manage various stakeholders such as the operator, the waste handler, project sponsor, permitting authorities, among others. You thrive in complex situations and take pride in realizing our most challenging deployments.
“We work in a fast-paced and informal way where you can take lots of responsibility. As a project manager, you can help shape our deployments in the years to come and help in stopping the flow of plastic to the oceans. Looking forward to working with an energetic, knowledgeable self-starter who will help The Ocean Cleanup in the next phases of our development!” Lonneke Holierhoek, River Director
We continue to expand our project management team. We are looking for a Senior Project Manager to take on the most challenging projects. As Senior Project Manager, you will also have a role in improving our deployment processes and act as a mentor to the other project managers.
Your responsibilities include:
- Leading a fixed set of deployment projects
- Coordinating a cross-functional team
- Managing external partners
- Improving internal processes and project management structures
- Continuous improvement of the Project Management teams skillset
- Project management groundwork: planning development, managing budgets, document control, etc.
- Master's degree with additional training in project management
- Academic-level thinking and communication skills
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience in project management, preferably in a relevant field for the position (for example, in engineering, construction, shipbuilding, governmental affairs, environmental affairs, working abroad in Asia/Latin America)
- Proven track record in creating/managing planning and budget control
- Relevant experience in working with external partners and managing contracts
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or an Asian language is a plus
- Experience working on different projects at the same time and used to picking up projects ‘as is’ rather than only from scratch
- You get energy from seeing tasks and projects through to completion
- You like improving processes and are meticulous, detail-oriented, and structured
- You are diplomatic and like to work with a team and coach them to do their best work
- You realize that a certain amount of groundwork (document control, chasing people for planning updates, administrative tasks, etc.) is part of the job and project success
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup in the river team? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast. Available on Spotify and all other podcast platforms.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union