- Posted: 08 November 2020
- Closing date: 06 February 2021
MISSON TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To do so, we design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. As the Project Manager - River Deployments you will be responsible for managing the deployments of our Interceptor systems in 2021. Together with a multi-disciplinary team, you will pick up the projects where they currently stand and continue working towards the installation and operation of the systems. At the end of the year, you can look back at a series of successful deployments and loads of plastic extracted from rivers.
“The best part of working at The Ocean Cleanup is that you’re continuously making an impact as you work towards a better world. Everything you do, whether it's an exciting meeting with a new partner or just updating the planning, is focused on one goal: cleaner oceans. Also, you’re going to work within one of the greatest teams in the world!” – Eline Spek, Program Manager Rivers
The Rivers team is preparing Interceptor deployments in 2021. We are looking for a project manager to improve our deployment processes, coordinate the progress of the team (including business development, operations, and research/monitoring), coordinate with external partners, and bring these projects to success on time and within the budget.
Your responsibilities include:
- Leading a fixed set of deployment projects, to be finished within a year
- Coordinating a cross-functional team
- Managing external partners
- Improving internal processes and project management structures
- Project management groundwork: planning development, managing budgets, document control, etc.
- Master's degree with added training in project management
- Academic-level thinking and communication skills
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience in project management, preferably in a field where you have gained experience to prepare you for this job (for example, in engineering, construction, shipbuilding, governmental affairs, environmental affairs, working abroad in Asia/Latin-America)
- Proven track record in creating/managing planning and budget control
- Relevant experience in working with external partners and managing contracts
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or an Asian language is a plus
- You have worked on different projects at the same time in the past and are used to picking up projects ‘as is’ instead of only from scratch
- You get energy from seeing tasks and projects through to completion, as opposed to starting up something new
- You like improving processes and are meticulous, detail-oriented, and structured
- You diplomatic, who likes to work with a team and coach them to do their best work
- You realize that a certain amount of groundwork (document control, chasing people for planning updates, administrative task, etc.) is part of the job and project success
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Work permit needed:
- European Union