- Posted: 25 January 2022
- Closing date: 25 April 2022
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the world's oceans of plastic. For this, we need to design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems that extract plastic from our oceans and prevent plastic from entering the ocean via rivers. Working with local partners, we aim to tackle the 1000 most polluting rivers worldwide.
As part of the Engineering team within the River team, you will develop and implement technology solutions to extract plastic from rivers and monitor the performance of these systems.
This includes gaining a thorough understanding of the plastic pollution problem and the technical solutions that can be used to tackle it.
"We are looking for a passionate engineer that loves to be on the water to help us develop solutions in rivers that prevent plastic from flowing into the ocean. Do you know about Archimedes law, and do you have a pragmatic can-do mentality? Are you entrepreneurial with experience working in the maritime world, creating or fixing equipment? Then it's YOU we need you in our team." Jasper van Eijk – Senior Project Engineer”
As Project Engineer (Junior) within the River team, you will be responsible for, amongst others things:
- Designing barrier & plastic extraction solutions for our projects
- Field visits to our operational Interceptors to compile lessons learned and feed them into design improvements
- Working with 3rd parties to conduct engineering studies and mooring analysis
- Providing technical advice and serving as a knowledge point on the technical facets of the river projects within the organization
- Visualizing future deployments
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Maritime, Mechanical, or Civil Engineering. Other degrees will not be accepted.
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience in the maritime world, preferably in an innovative environment. Please note graduation internships do not count as work experience.
- A good understanding of the complexity of river systems, mooring configurations, floating equipment, etc.
- Fluent in English; languages are an advantage
- You are a "water person," you "live on water," you know all about floating devices / how rivers behave / how water flows / you can drive boats (licensed) / can forecast erosion / etc.
- Pragmatic, hands-on mentality. You can, and you like to fix things yourself.
- Able to quickly get to the essence of a technical challenge and investigate the most relevant/essential aspects to help direct towards a solution
- Performs well in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Curious, creative, and determined to deliver
- Strong communication skills
- Willingness to travel abroad
Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union