- Posted: 08 November 2020
- Closing date: 06 February 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To do so, we design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to stop plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. You will be responsible for monitoring the progress and quality of our activities and play an active role in the strategy formulation of the Rivers team. As Program Manager Rivers, you will have Project Managers supporting you in the delivery of your objectives.
“The best part of working at The Ocean Cleanup is that you’re continuously making an impact and working towards a better world. Everything you do, whether it's an exciting meeting with a new partner, strategy formulation, or updating the planning, is focused on one goal: cleaner oceans. This role allows you to combine your professional qualifications with a purposeful job.” – Ewout Eelkman Rooda, Director Rivers
The Rivers team is scaling up the deployments of technology to intercept plastic before it reaches the ocean. The development and deployments of these solutions are partly outsourced and managed by project teams. We are looking for a program manager who can create and maintain an overview of all projects. You will lead the team of project managers and ensure the successful deployment of all projects on with quality, on time, quality, and within the budget.
Your responsibilities include:
- High-level planning and control of our Rivers program
- Playing an active role in strategy formulation for the Rivers team
- Driving continuous learning in the Rivers team
- Improving internal processes and project management structures
- Team lead of the program management team
- Leading a set of projects in the start-up phase
- Project management groundwork: creating planning, managing budgets, document control, etc.
- Master's degree with additional training in program or project management
- Team leadership experience
- Academic-level thinking and communication skills
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in program management or project management, preferably in a field where you have gained experience that prepared you for this job (for example, in engineering, construction, innovation, ship-building, governmental affairs, environmental affairs, working abroad in Asia/Latin-America, etc.)
- Relevant experience in working with external partners and managing contracts
- Fluent in English, bonus points for Spanish, Portuguese, or an Asian language
- You have worked on multiple projects at the same time before and have experience in taking projects from start to finish
- You are a natural connector, you find yourself often being the linchpin between different people or groups
- You like to work with a team and coach them to their ultimate potential
- You can use your excellent listening/communication skills to solve issues before they become problems.
- You realize that a certain amount of groundwork (document control, chasing people for planning updates, administrative task, etc.) is part of the job and project success
- You are able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union