- Interviews started
- Posted: 06 September 2021
- Closing date: 05 December 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technology to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To do so, we need to ensure that we have secured the required funds and support for our operations. The Ocean Cleanup launched the first product made from recycled plastic from the Great Pacific Garbage Patch this past fall, using the plastic we caught during our System 001/B campaign. The Valorization team is responsible for bringing this and the next products to the market, with the objective to create value from the plastic catch to fund the continuation of the cleanup in accordance with our waste management policy. We follow a three-step approach: garbage to material, material to product, and product to market.
“A key objective of the Valorization team is to show the world that there is value in the ocean plastic catch. By developing products, we show the world that the ocean plastic is not merely waste, and give our supporters an opportunity to take ocean cleaning into their own hands!”
Stella van den Berg, Valorization Director
- Independently manage the product roadmap by driving the idea-to-project funnel and organizing the enablers for success
- Develop value propositions based on market and consumer data and insights, with a viable business case
- Initiate and manage product development projects with suppliers and co-development partners
- Establish the product development process as a way of working
- Find a destination for all of the mechanically recycled ocean plastic
- Continue to feed new insights and lessons learned into the Product Vision and Strategy
For this assignment, you will work with our team, normally based in the office in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, now working from home most of the time according to COVID-19 guidelines.
- A Masters degree in Industrial Product Development, Industrial Product Design, or similar
- At minimum 8 years relevant work experience, including at least 5 years in product management, with focus on:
- Development of products made with plastic as the main material
- Working with suppliers and co-development partners
- Experience in the full spectrum starting from market insights to value proposition creation, product development, and new product introduction
- Familiar with working in the Lean Startup approach
- Ability to drive structure and develop processes in an organization that is relatively new to (consumer) product development
- Result-driven and self-motivated
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use data and metrics to validate assumptions
- You perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- And above all: an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please mention the potential start date in your application.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.