CLOSING DATE: 31 December 2023
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. You will support our mission by bringing legal expertise to the team.
“Be a legal guardian of a forward-thinking organization, with many opportunities for professional diversification and growth” João Ribeiro-Bidaoui, General Counsel & Director of Global Public Affairs.
The Ocean Cleanup is seeking a paralegal to join our Legal Department. You will be part of a well-established and recognized international non-profit organization, working in a dynamic and supportive legal team. An in-house paralegal will have significant internal knowledge of the organization and often liaise with external counsel while responsible for the Legal Department's alignment with the entire organization.
The responsibilities and activities are extremely broad and diverse.
You will work with an international team of talented lawyers in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, and Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assisting and supporting the Legal Department with its day-to-day services
- Responsible for contract signature, archiving, and digital filing of agreements, the relevant workflows and procedures, and the streamlining, awareness, and full compliance therewith
- Establishing, maintaining, processing, and/or updating files, records, and/or other documents
- General administration
- Conducting legal research
- Arranging for the registration of modifications of client information at the Business Register of the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (KvK), such as changes of the contact details, authorized signatories, etc
- Assisting with compliance matters
- Responsible for incoming and outgoing mail, including courier documents
- Providing other related support services as and when required
- Handle requests for certification, legalization, and apostille
- Arrange visa applications for business trips. Plan, organize and schedule meetings
- Ensure that the Legal Department complies with organizational requirements such as budget preparation, notifications, and timelines.
- Bachelor's degree in law
- At least 3 years of experience as a Para Legal or Legal Assistant, in an in-house Legal Department in an International organization, preferably also experience in private practice
- Experience as a corporate legal secretary / any other training certifications in the legal field will be a strong advantage in your application
- Fluent in English and at least intermediate ability in the Dutch language is preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Word, Excel, Adobe, and Outlook
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders and colleagues at all levels
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Good organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to work methodically and accurately
- Able to work independently and capable of prioritizing tasks as appropriate.
- Pragmatic where possible, but thorough when needed
- Flexible and self-motivated, “can do” mentality
- Team player with high cultural awareness and sensitivity and excellent communication skills
- Thrives in fast-paced, international environments
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal.
- Eligible to legally work in The Netherlands;
- Bachelor in law.
- Starting date: as soon as possible.
- Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.