- Posted: 18 June 2021
- Closing date: 16 September 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. One way we do so is by designing, developing, and deploying cleanup systems to prevent plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. Our goal is to scale up and tackle the 1000 most polluting rivers around the world. Working in the Rivers team, your goal will be to optimize the operation of our solutions together with our partners. With your operational background, technical insight, and international experience, you will help us intercept as much plastic as possible.
“As long as there is plastic flowing to the ocean, it must be intercepted. Deploying systems is only one part of the equation; they must also be operational and on their best behavior – can you help us achieve this? A great international team will be there to support you and cheer your successes."
Eline Spek, Head of Operations Rivers
With a number of Interceptors already installed, the Rivers team is now working on new projects. To prepare for scale-up to 10’s and 100’s of rivers, it is important to learn as much as we can from our current operations. For this, we need strong performance monitoring and close contact with the owners & operators of the system. We are looking for an operations manager with a connection to water bodies who wants to take on the challenge of setting up a series of smooth-running operations, ready to be handed over to their final owner.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing the start-up of system operations. You will work closely with our local representatives and be the point of contact for our team and partners for operational questions
- Monitoring performance, reliability, efficacy, and always be on the lookout for ways to improve and optimize system operations
- Keeping an overview of operational contracts and KPI’s. You will ensure that both contract holders (our partners and The Ocean Cleanup) deliver accordingly
- Potentially, you will support in preparing projects together with a dedicated team
- A relevant technical bachelor’s or master’s degree (for example, in naval engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering)
- Around 7-10 years of relevant work experience in an operational role in the maritime world
- Experience with contract management, subcontracting, outsourcing, or collaborating with external partners
- Relevant international experience (preferably Asia, Latin America, Africa)
- Experience with repair & maintenance or asset management is preferred
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or any Asian language is a plus
- You are a practical person with good foresight
- You have excellent communication and social skills, including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels (operational to political)
- You like to mix up your routine, from complex challenges to a bit of (fun) day-to-day. Seeing improvements over time is what drives you
- You are a realist, perhaps a bit on the ‘glass-half-full’ side, but you’re more into mitigating risks than letting them run their course
- You have an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union