- Interviews started
- Posted: 09 August 2021
- Closing date: 07 November 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To reach our goal, we need to stop the inflow of new plastics into the ocean. Therefore, we design, develop, and deploy our river cleanup systems to prevent plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. Our goal is to scale up and solve the 1000 most polluting rivers all over the world.
We work closely together with partners to own and operate our river systems, but part of the fleet is owned by us. To take even better care of these systems, we are looking for an Operations Manager who will focus on asset management.
“As long as there is plastic flowing to the ocean, it must be intercepted. But, deploying systems is only one part of the equation, they must also be operational and on their best behavior – can you help us achieve this? A great international team will be there to support you and cheer your successes" - Eline Spek, Head of Operations Rivers
You will work in the Rivers Operations team, a team of exceptional people with diverse specialties. No job at The Ocean Cleanup is or will ever be ‘business as usual,’ but some recurring tasks like monitoring performance and progress, reporting on KPI’s and keeping contact with local representatives will be part of the job. Of course, we encourage you to set up these processes as effectively as possible, to free up your time and headspace to continue making improvements to the operation of our systems.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing the first year of system operations. Including supporting the startup of operations and training. You will work closely with our local representatives and be a point of contact for our engineering team and maintenance partner for operational questions
- Monitoring performance, reliability, efficacy, and always be on the lookout for ways to improve and optimize system operations
- Keeping an overview of operational contracts and KPI’s. You’ll ensure that both contract holders (our partners and The Ocean Cleanup) deliver accordingly
- Prepare handover of the systems to their final owner
- A relevant technical bachelor’s or master's degree (for example, in mechanical engineering, naval engineering, civil engineering)
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in an operational role in the maritime world
- 3-7 years of experience in an asset management or maintenance role
- Experience with contract management, subcontracting, outsourcing, or collaborating with external partners
- Relevant international experience (preferably Asia, Latin-America, Africa)
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or any Asian language is a plus
- You like to mix challenges and a bit of (fun) day-to-day routines. Seeing improvements over time is what drives you.
- You are a practical person. Through your operational experience you see potential problems before they arise, and so manage operational risks instead of fixing what’s in front of you.
- You have excellent communication and social skills, including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels (operational to political)
- You have the patience for paperwork and processes.
- You are a realist, perhaps a bit on the ‘glass-half-full’ side, but you’re more into mitigating risks than thinking all will be well
- And of course, you have an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.