- Posted: 01 February 2023
- Closing date: 28 February 2023
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop and scale technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. You will support our mission by bringing medior legal expertise to the team.
“Be a legal guardian of a forward-thinking organization, with many opportunities for professional diversification and growth” João Ribeiro-Bidaoui, General Counsel & Director of Global Public Affairs.
Providing legal advice to all entities of The Ocean Cleanup requires awareness of the legal risks they may face across several areas of law and jurisdictions. You will primarily support HR and Procurement by advising, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts with staff, contractors, operators, suppliers, sponsors, partners, financial institutions, international organizations and governments. You will be involved in mapping and overseeing regulatory requirements for the operations of The Ocean Cleanup and in public relations with Dutch regulatory authorities where necessary.
While the responsibilities and activities may be very broad and diverse, your role will primarily focus on Dutch corporate governance and labor laws, with opportunities to engage with other fields of law, from international contract law to intellectual property law or international law of the sea.
You will work closely with an international team of talented senior lawyers and highly ranked law firms worldwide that support The Ocean Cleanup. Responsibilities include:
- HR and procurement support
- Risk and compliance support
- Independently drafting, reviewing, and negotiating contracts in Dutch and in English
- Drafting templates for frequently used agreements
- Mapping applicable laws and regulations and facilitating business compliance
- Maintain KvK and UBO-related obligations
- Liaise with outside experts/counsels
- Register IP rights, follow up on infringements in close collaboration with the Communications team
- Preparing and submitting annual accounts and statements
- Advising on a variety of other legal topics
- Dutch qualified lawyer
- Master’s degree in Dutch law
- At least 5 years of experience as in-house counsel, preferably also experience in private practice and/or with an International Organization
- In-depth understanding of various fields of Dutch law (such as labor law, corporate governance, Procurement, IP, etc.)
- Knowledge in drafting, reviewing, and negotiating international contracts
- Native Dutch speaker with high professional proficiency in English (written and verbal), Other languages are a plus
- Pragmatic where possible, but thorough when needed
- Team player with high cultural awareness and sensitivity; and excellent communication skills
- Thrives in fast-paced, international environments
- Self-motivated, “can do” mentality
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity. Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast.
- Work permit needed:
- European Union