- Posted: 19 December 2019
- Closing date: 18 February 2020
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technology to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. In order to do so, we also need to close the tap: intercept plastic before it enters the ocean. The Operations Lead is responsible for building and developing the operations team, the efficient preparation for deployments in 1000 rivers, supporting the timely installation in 1000 rivers, advising how to maximize tonnage extracted from 1000 rivers, and ensuring a sustainable waste handling.
‘If you like to take on challenges and turn them into solutions, we’d love to hear from you. Tackling one of the major environmental challenges we face by setting up and operating cleanups in 1000 rivers across the world is not an easy task. If you are up for leading the operational side of this challenge, and you have a proven track record of delivering through partners, we gladly welcome you to our team.’ Chris Worp – Managing Director
In the coming years, The Ocean Cleanup will install Interceptors (river cleanup systems) worldwide. As Operations manager you will be responsible for ensuring effective and efficient transport, installation, commissioning and operation of those systems in close collaborations with key partners. The responsibility of Operations extends beyond the Interceptor, as your team also monitors and improves the organization around the system. This includes due diligence and auditing of the waste management, and evaluation of the environmental and social impact. You will manage and build the operations team required to execute these tasks and drive operational excellence.
Your responsibilities include:
- Leading and developing both the Operations team and strategy in line with the goals of The Ocean Cleanup.
- Overseeing global operations: preparing operational plans & procedures in cooperation with the team and key partners; working together with the team and key partners to ensure timely deployment and to optimize uptime and efficacy of Interceptors.
- Translating operational learnings into system improvements. You will translate lessons learned during operations into concrete suggestions for improved system design. You will also work with the test engineers to set up field tests to that end.
- Supporting Business Development in the initial stages of the River Deployment Approach. You will advise on prospect feasibility and operational implications and requirements.
- Being responsible for the later stages of the River Deployment Approach. You will involve relevant colleagues to contribute towards the deliverables and ensure successful execution of the operational stages of the River Deployment Approach.
- Improving social and environmental impact of our river cleanup technology. You will work with third parties to assess environmental and social impact of deployments, both prior to installation and during operation.
- Managing partners and stakeholders. You will manage a network of key suppliers, partners and contractors, and you will advise, support and guide these partners.
- You have successfully set up and led well performing multi-disciplinary teams
- You have at least 7 years' experience in roles that combine operational management and technical aspects resulting in a strong track record in delivering performance
- Experience in setting up, managing and delivering projects through (international) partnerships
- You solve technical, health & safety and logistical challenges on the run. You have worked on mechanical and electrical systems. Experience with and knowledge of anchored floating structures are a plus
- You have excellent English language skills, other languages are helpful
- You possess academic level thinking and communication skills
- You are in the top 10% amongst your peers in terms of result orientation and practical solutions.
- Flexible thinker¸ not easily stressed, with a strong execution mindset and skills
- You get things done
- Practical and result orientated
- Methodical and structured
- A creative problem solver
- Excellent communication and social skills including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels (from operational to political)
- Strong leadership skills
- Result-driven and self-starter, even when faced with adversity and setbacks
- Willing to travel abroad on a regular basis
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union