- Interviews started
- Posted: 10 December 2020
- Closing date: 10 March 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. To do so, we design, develop, and deploy cleanup systems to prevent plastic from reaching our oceans by intercepting it in rivers. Our goal is to scale up and solve the 1000 most polluting rivers all over the world. Working in the Rivers operations team, and in a multi-disciplinary project team, you will focus on our scale-up and upcoming deployments. By bringing your technical view, operational background, and networking skills to the mix, you can help us make strides in our future projects.
“The Rivers operations team is about getting stuff done: plans and ideas become reality. If you’re looking for a job that combines operations, business development, and technical challenges, a great team of people are excited to welcome you and your ideas," - Eline Spek, Head of Operations - Rivers
The Rivers team is planning new Interceptor deployments. We have a pipeline of potential rivers where we would like to deploy and partners with whom we would like to establish working relationships. These projects are set up by a small team of business developers and river researchers. We are looking for a Junior Operations Manager who is interested in new business development to join this team and help us start cleaning even more rivers next year.
Your responsibilities include:
- Assess whether a project is feasible – from an operational viewpoint
- Work closely together with and support the Business Development team
- Find, contract, and collaborate with local partners on a technical and strategic level
- Because you will be involved in the early phases of our projects, most of your work will be desk-based. In the future, you might be asked to conduct site visits as well.
- A relevant technical bachelor's degree (for example, in mechanical engineering, naval engineering, civil engineering)
- Between 2-3 years of relevant work experience in an operational role
- Experience with subcontracting, outsourcing, or collaborating with external partners
- Relevant international experience (Asia, Latin-America, Africa), either from work, internships, studies, or personal experience.
- It would be great if you have experience in one or more of these fields: innovation, the maritime/water sector, waste management, recycling, working with government/public-private partnerships.
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese, or an Asian language is a plus
- Above all, you are a practical person. You like to get things done, and you know that structure and processes are great tools to get the results you want.
- You have excellent communication and social skills, including a strong cultural awareness and ability to communicate on all levels (operational to political)
- You have the patience for paperwork – project preparation takes time.
- You are a realist, perhaps a bit on the ‘glass-half-full’ side, but you’re more into mitigating risks than thinking all will be well
- And of course, you have an intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission.
Curious to hear how it is to work at The Ocean Cleanup? Listen to our team members explain their work in our podcast. Available on Spotify and all other podcast platforms.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.