- Posted: 02 February 2021
- Closing date: 03 May 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Ensuring we properly understand biological and ecological factors of the ecosystems we work in is key to our success, as protecting the environment is the main driver behind our work. In this internship, you will support the Environmental team by performing water hyacinth research.
In anticipation of upcoming research, we are looking for an intern who will be responsible for conducting literature reviews on water hyacinth. Our activities span the globe and the circumstances may vary for each continent, region, or ecosystem.
Your responsibilities include:
Depending on the duration of the internship, you will conduct multiple desktop studies on water hyacinth topics, including but not limited to:
- Factors contributing to water hyacinth presence and abundance, particularly in the top 1000 most polluting rivers
- Impacts of water hyacinth removal on watershed ecosystems and on water quality
- Biodiversity of organisms living on water hyacinths
- Enrolled in a bachelor's or master's program in river ecology, environmental science, aquatic botany, or relevant natural sciences or environmental engineering
- Successful completion of courses in: marine, river, or wildlife science; environmental science, biology, and scientific research methods
- Proven experience in conducting scientific research
- Experience using geospatial analysis tools (i.e. ArcGIS)
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge or experience in water hyacinth or watershed research is a plus
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging work environment
- You are comfortable with a high level of autonomy
- Meticulous, detail-oriented, structured
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Fluent in English, verbal and written
This will be a work from home position, with opportunities to learn from and work with scientists and engineers across multiple teams within The Ocean Cleanup.
Please mention the potential start date, preferred duration, and the end date of your academic program in your application.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union