- Posted: 16 April 2020
- Closing date: 15 July 2020
MISSION TO METRICS
The Ocean Cleanup is leading an international project to quantify the amount of derelict fishing gear encountered in the ocean by estimating rates of annual abandonment, loss, and discarding of fishing gear (ALDFG) from main gear types used in fisheries around the world.
As an International Research Volunteer, you can contribute to the success of this project by conducting and documenting interviews.
We are seeking volunteers to conduct interviews with stakeholders in the fisheries industry to estimate fishing gear loss rates for various fishing techniques across countries. Survey forms and guidelines will be distributed to participants.
Information will be collected on the weight, number, and dimensions of each individual gear component that is lost, abandoned, or discarded per unit of catch.
Following initial training, participants will be tasked to conduct a minimum of 10 surveys. Surveys should be completed within one month after enrollment.
Given the current situation with COVID-19, the surveys should be phone or email interviews at first with the aim of pursuing on-site interviews when permitted and safe.
- Experience with conducting surveys or willing to learn
- Experience with the field of fishing industry preferred
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years old
- Excellent communication skills
- English speaker and/or fluent in English
- Native speaker of a language other than English
- Living nearby a seaport is required
- Scientific integrity
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- For phone interviews: have access to a phone and a quiet room to conduct the interview
- For on-site interviews: must live nearby selected locations
- Starting from:
- May 2020