- Posted: 12 June 2019
VISION AND MISSION
The Ocean Cleanup develops advanced technology to extract, prevent, and intercept plastic pollution. In 2018, The Ocean Cleanup initiated the largest cleanup in history by launching the first cleanup system; System 001 ("Wilson").
We are a young organization with a mission to tackle a global problem of an unprecedented scale. What we are aiming for is not easy, and we know we need to push the limits of current technological boundaries to reach our goals. Working at The Ocean Cleanup isn’t for everyone, but we believe that through optimism, perseverance and ingenuity we can succeed.
We are recruiting a diverse team of bright, high-performing people, who feel comfortable going off the beaten path, and who perceive setbacks merely as necessary obstacles to be taken on the route to great and lasting achievement.
While it is important to test technology in the real world, there is benefit to modelling virtually first. We are looking for someone to create a model to simulate the function of a novel extraction technology, to help provide design direction and future recommendations.
Your tasks will include:
- Developing a modelling framework and simulation of a plastic extraction system
- Exploring how different variables impact the extraction system performance
- Providing suggestions for improvement to the engineering team
- Depending on the requirements for your internship, a specific assignment can be formulated in mutual agreement.
- You are a student at a university in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering
- You have experience with creating models and basic simulations
- You have experience with MATLAB
- You are available for 3 to 6 months, and can start as soon as possible
- You have a valid EU study/working permit
- You work well independently
- You also know when to ask for help
- You are a problem-solver
- Strong command of English, verbal and written
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- ASAP, for 3-6 months
- Work permit needed:
- European Union