- Interviews started
- Posted: 21 August 2019
- Closing date: 19 November 2019
MISSION TO METRICS
Protecting the environment is the main driver behind our work. Ensuring aspects as biology and social factors are considered when developing and improving our technology is key to our success. The Environmental Officer will help achieve our mission by successfully developing a methodology to ensure environmental impacts are reviewed.
“We work in a fast-paced and informal way where you can take lots of responsibility. I would like to welcome an environmental officer who can connect with our technical and research departments to check if all environmental standards are met. Looking forward to working with an energetic, knowledgeable self-starter who will help bring The Ocean Cleanup into the next phase!” Lonneke Holierhoek, COO of The Ocean Cleanup
We are looking for an environmental officer who is responsible for the assessment and improvement of our technology relating to its environment, ensuring aspects such as biology and social factors are considered. Our activities span the globe and the circumstance may vary for each continent, region or ecosystem. Your responsibilities would be to develop a methodology to ensure environmental impacts are reviewed under those various conditions, cooperating with local experts and our team of engineers and specialists.
- Develop and ensure the performance of methods assessing any impact of our technology on its environment.
- Identify and source suitable local experts who can advise on specific conditions and regulatory framework.
- Be the interface between our team of engineers and specialists, and our partners/suppliers, who work on environmental, and social impact assessments and monitoring.
- Develop environmental monitoring or environmental management plans.
- Ensure monitoring data is used to identify problems and propose solutions.
- Work closely with the engineering team and external partners to facilitate continuous improvement in our design, technology, and methodology.
- A relevant Master or Bachelor in biology, ecology, environmental science or a relevant engineering discipline. We are looking for someone who can work at the interface between biology and engineering. For example; you have a biology degree and with an above-average interest in technology and understanding of engineering; you’re an engineering major with a minor in biology; you have experience in working with feedback from EIA assessments; or any other background you feel can convince us with.
- Proven experience in coordinating and supervising work performed internationally by contractors/suppliers and/or other external partner companies.
- Experience in, or knowledge of waste management or social embedding is a big plus.
- Around 5 years of working experience that have prepared you for taking on this role.
- Very strong communication and reporting skills
- Culturally aware and able to adapt your style accordingly
- Result-driven and self-starter, even when faced with adversity and setbacks
- Willingness to travel abroad
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- ASAP, for 1 year
- Work permit needed:
- European Union
Interviews have started, but please feel free to apply, as we might consider new applications.