- Posted: 22 July 2021
- Closing date: 20 October 2021
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop advanced technologies to rid the world’s oceans of plastic. Protecting the environment is the main driver behind our work and our mission; therefore, ensuring biological and social factors are considered in the development of our technology is key to our success.
“We work in a fast-paced and informal way where you can take lots of responsibility. I would like to welcome an environmental manager who can assist the environmental team in our growing projects. Looking forward to working with an energetic knowledgeable self-starter who will help The Ocean Cleanup in the next phases of our development and operations!” Lonneke Holierhoek, Director of the Department of Science and Outsourced Operations of The Ocean Cleanup
We are looking for an environmental manager who is responsible for managing environmental projects in a team atmosphere. Our activities span the globe and the circumstances may vary for each continent, region, or ecosystem.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing subject matter expertise towards environmental and social aspects in rivers and oceans projects to identify, address, eliminate, and prevent environmental concerns from our operations and technology, directly and indirectly
- Act as the interface between our internal team of engineers and specialists, external partners/suppliers, and external environmental consultants to ensure proper completion of projects
- Providing critical feedback on environmental impact assessments and associated reports provided by the external environmental consultants
- Travel to project locations as needed to meet with local legal counsel, partners, government, etc., to properly advise project team and to develop environmental and social scope of projects for external providers
- Providing support to other environmental project leads as needed.
- Minimum Master’s degree, PhD, or J.D. in environmental sciences, (rivers, marine, or wildlife) ecology, or relevant natural sciences disciplines
- 7+ years of relevant working experience (will consider 5 years if PhD)
- Proven experience with developing and reviewing environmental and social impact assessments, management plans, and monitoring plans
- Experience in supervising and coordinating work performed internationally by contractors/suppliers and/or other external organizations
- Experience understanding and interpreting international and local environmental and social laws and regulations
- Field work experience (to apply experience in document reviews and developing scope to external providers. Note: this is not a field-scientist position)
- Experience with environmental permitting
- Fluent in English
- Experience working with engineers, attorneys, and project managers
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, and proficiency in Microsoft Teams, Jira/Confluence, and/or Salesforce is a plus
- Ability to make data-driven and team-based decisions
- Experience interacting with external partners, government entities, and stakeholders
- Proven experience managing and procuring projects
- Experience in technology and operational risk assessment
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced, highly challenging, and dynamic work environment
- Meticulous, detail oriented, structured - but also flexible to transition to new tasks or scopes
- Team player, diplomatic, & able to take direction
- Excellent communication and reporting skills
- Ability to work with tight deadlines
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful mission
Assignment is in Rotterdam, Netherlands. This is not a remote position.
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations rather than that of a commercial entity.
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union