- Posted: 04 March 2022
- Closing date: 30 July 2022
MISSION TO METRICS
To rid the world's oceans of plastic, we are highly dependent on support from individuals worldwide. As the Community Manager, you will manage our supporters' first contact with The Ocean Cleanup through community interactions across our digital channels.
"Communications as a discipline has a unique and central role at The Ocean Cleanup. Our main task is to oversee the day-to-day management of one of our most important assets: our brand, an attractive promise that is driving funding and buy-in from stakeholders globally. We are looking for top talent to join us in the exciting work to continuously uphold and improve our image. Professional warning: some level of craziness may be required!"– Joost Dubois, Head of Communications
As the Community Manager, you are the primary contact between The Ocean Cleanup and its supporters, responsible for all interactions via social media and email. You 'live' in the comments section and our email inbox, keeping a finger on the pulse of all things going on within The Ocean Cleanup to ensure you can inform and educate our community. In this role, you also oversee an external community management team to provide consistent, correct, and on-brand answers to queries via email and social media.
You are curious about people and what motivates their interest in The Ocean Cleanup. You will use these insights to craft FAQs and inform the Communications team of possible improvements in our social posts, website content, or PR strategy. Besides qualitative insights, you also gather quantitative data on community demographics, engagement, and sentiment, to determine what makes our supporters tick (or snooze). Together with the Social Media Manager, you use these insights to help keep our followers engaged and in the know of our mission progress.
Key tasks include:
- Sort and answer incoming inquiries via all digital platforms (website, emails, and social media) concerning all facets of The Ocean Cleanup's work
- Key account role for community management agency and tooling support. Act as the first point of contact for questions coming from our external community management team (agency support) and oversee, guide, and train them
- Monitor and interact with mentions, comments, external posts, and groups on all social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, TikTok)
- Collect and analyze concise and comprehensive data on community, sentiment, criticisms, and more – with information feeding into content creation and language framing
- Draft, maintain, update, and improve the FAQs for email correspondence, website, media, and social media in close cooperation with internal stakeholders
- Develop new ways of growing, engaging, and fostering our community in collaboration with the Social Media Manager
- Degree in fields such as communications, business, hospitality, media, or marketing
- At least two years' experience in customer service, community management, partnerships, or stakeholder management
- Previous experience in agency management, CRM tooling, social media management tooling, and/or communications is a plus
- Native English language skills (written and oral). Other language skills are a plus
- Above all, a people person! Service-minded and intrinsically interested in the people behind our social media follower base
- Quick learner
- Great communicator and writer
- Willingness to take responsibility and lead a project
- Curiosity to learn and understand the details behind our cleanup technology, research, and general mission
- Ability to translate complex information into comprehensive yet straightforward FAQs
- Able to sell our mission, even when dealing with some bursts of negativity that can come with this territory
- Efficient self-starter
- Great team player
- Empathetic with a thick skin
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
Please note: because we are a non-profit, our salaries reflect that of an organization fully reliant on donations, rather than that of a commercial entity
Conducting a pre-employment check is part of our recruitment process.
- Work permit needed:
- European Union