- Posted: 29 January 2020
- Closing date: 28 April 2020
MISSION TO METRICS
To successfully rid the world's oceans of plastic we need to also rapidly stop the inflow of plastic via rivers at a global scale. The Business Development Manager Asia will have succeeded when clear deal structures and business models are in place around river cleanup solutions and our river cleanup technology is making a significant impact on the influx of riverine plastics into the oceans.
“We work in a fast-paced and informal way where you can take lots of responsibility. I would like to welcome an experienced new member to our business development team, that has experience in both profit and nonprofit sector and brings a broad and relevant network. Looking forward to working with an energetic, knowledgeable and result driven self-starter who will help bring The Ocean Cleanup into the next phase!”
Carlo Wesseling, Head of Business development
The Business Development Manager Asia will enable fast scale-up of river cleanup technology solutions. She/he will, develop clear deal structures and operating models based on strong client/partner propositions. Working with a large variety of possible partners (e.g. governments, operators, funders) she/he focuses on setting up consortia to operate installations before handing over to the operations team that drives the completion of the installation.
- Manage and coach two business developers for your region.
- Build and leverage a personal network and that of The Ocean Cleanup to reach the deal making phase. Bringing together a broad range of partners from private, public and nonprofit sectors.
- Prioritize and develop opportunities to ensure our ambitious plans and promises are realized.
- Visit prospect countries and locations, predominantly in Asia.
- In coordination with Marketing and Funding teams develop and evaluate localized business models with partners that may contribute to the realization of our objectives.
- In coordination with The Ocean Cleanup’s General Counsel manage contract negotiations and set up local consortia.
- In close coordination with the Funding team and the marketing team identify and commit local funding opportunities.
- Contribute to building a successful business development function that powers a continued large scale expansion of The Ocean Cleanup’s solutions.
- You have at least 10 years working experience; preferably in a powerful, international, commercial role in a technical industry working with partnerships and consortia.
- University degree, for example, in international relations, environmental sciences, business/public administration.
- You possess academic level thinking and communication skills.
- You can manage a pipeline of opportunities that are in different stages of development, requiring different levels of engagement with partners ranging from establishing initial contact to long term collaboration.
- You have proven your ability to realize extensive contracts with governments, helped by the support of corporations and NGOs. Preferably in the Asia region.
- You have experience with setting up business models.
- You have excellent English-language skills, other languages (e.g. Asian) are helpful.
- You have been exposed to numerous cultures and proven to thrive in such environments.
- You are able and willing to resist any corrupt or unethical practices.
- You are in the top 10% among your peers, in terms of cooperation, taking responsibility, “getting the job done” and project management.
- Global citizen and savvy deal maker
- High cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Commercially driven
- Prefers long-term commitments over quick win
- Results-driven, self-motivated
- Entrepreneurial and creative
- You stay positive and constructive despite setbacks
- Willing to travel abroad and on short notice
- Strong personal integrity
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union