- Posted: 10 February 2020
- Closing date: 10 May 2020
MISSION TO METRICS
The mission of The Ocean Cleanup is to develop technology to rid the world’s oceans of plastic.
In order to do so, we need to understand the problem: our engineering program develops novel methodologies to monitor sources and sinks of plastics, combining various input sources such as (image) sensors, and applying machine learning to assess the state of pollution.
These monitoring solutions contribute to informed decisions while working towards our 90% plastic mass reduction goal in the global ocean by 2040.
“When addressing such big challenges such as the global plastic pollution problem, adequate monitoring solutions aren’t directly available and there is a need to innovate. Our development of plastic detection systems that can be used to remotely monitor plastic on a large scale aim to further increase our understanding of the fundamental problem while monitoring performance of our interceptor systems. We are looking to expand our in house development team regarding the machine learning tools that allow our monitoring systems to function“ Ian Smith, Lead Engineer
Taking a leading role in developing plastic detection and analysis using artificial intelligence / machine learning tools, preparing data solutions ready for global rollout.
- Develop plastic detection & image processing tools.
- Manage and integrate models and tools in cloud environment.
- Work in a multidisciplinary team.
- Collaborate with other organizations to push development.
- Academic-level thinking in data science, data engineering or similar
- At least 2 years experience in data science & machine learning
- Familiar with cloud computing & database management
- Experience in Python
- A creative, innovative and critical eye
- Structured methods of working
- Constructive problem solver
- Strong command of English, verbal and written
- Intrinsic motivation to work on our ambitious and meaningful goal
- Starting from:
- Work permit needed:
- European Union